Saturday, June 17, 2023

An easy way to explain the six syllable types to young readers

 Have you used the CLOVER visual to teach your students the six syllable types?

I have used it for years since that was what I was taught to use.

This year though I really focused on explaining to kids the "big picture" of reading.  I tried to get them to understand that they needed to learn all six syllable types and all the spelling patterns in each and they will be able to read any word!  

This gave them lots of motivation to master phonics skills.

However I was noticing that they just were not understanding the syllable types with the CLOVER.

One day I started sketching a flower to explain the vowel team syllable to my students.  I was showing them how vowel team is a syllable type and there were lots of vowel teams to be learned.   They got it!

So I continued to make the Garden of Reading.

This really helped my students understand.  They could relate to the flowers and the concept of making your garden grow by adding flowers.

I think next year I will hang the bulletin board and give each student a copy of the student sheet for their readers notebook.  As we master skills they can color in petals, until the garden is full.

Just a reminder that if students are not getting something you are teaching try something new.  Something as simple as a new visual can really make a difference!



If you use this in your classroom tag me on instagram or facebook so I can see.  I'd love to hear if it helps others!

Thanks friends!
Amy

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© 180 Days of Reading. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig