Saturday, December 2, 2023

Teaching Reading can be Boring...

Teaching reading can be boring.
I'm sorry but it's true.
Don't get me wrong I LOVE teaching reading.
Sometimes the number of repetitions and systematic lessons over and over day after day can get to me.

So, I found a way to do this but also make it fun!
That's right, I figured out how to gamify the Science of Reading.

First, start by calling things games.  This puts everyone in a game mindset.
Next, realize that everything can be a game!

Start small.  Stickers, dice, and spinners go a long way.

I'd start with the sticker game.  Stick stickers on some flash cards.  Flash the cards.  The words the student read right they get to keep the card.   At the end the student with the most cards with stickers on them WIN!

OR have the students roll a die.  Whatever number they get, that is how many word cards they have to read...you can do the same thing with a spinner.

I also found that if I cut apart passages, into sentences it makes them less intimidating.  You can use the spinner and dice idea for these too.  Or put them in a pile and add cards that say go again and lose a turn. 

That should get your students reading more and having fun!

WHAT ABOUT THE WRITING PORTION OF THE LESSON?
Students HATE to write.

So, make it fun.

Dictate words to the students. Have them write their words in a blank BINGO or TIC TAC TOE board.  Then play!

Dictate sentences to the students then let them pick one to draw a picture of.

Games can make the lesson go a little longer, but I promise it will help you build relationships with your students and in the long run you WILL get more on task reading and writing time. 

Just make it fun!

Do you have any ideas that you use?
I would LOVE to hear about them!

I'm sending FREE printable games to my email list every Sunday until 2024.

Thanks friends!
Amy
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© 180 Days of Reading. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig